Friday, September 16, 2011

Snapshots of Guatemala


Here I am with backpack in tow ready for my first day of language school. I can´t say that everyday has been as exciting as the first...but it is what it is.


This is the street where I live. The Volcán de Agua looming in the distance.



Home of Franciscan Friars and the Tomb of Santo Hermano Pedro, here is the Iglesia San Francisco. This is the church where my fellow missionaries and I typically attend daily Mass. It is conveniently located between my house and the language school.


Devotees of Santo Hermano Pedro place candles outside of his tomb when asking for his intercession. Hundreds of pilgrims thank Hermano Pedro for miraculous cures.


September 15 marked Independence Day for Central America. There were tons of parades. This is one of them. They really love drums in their marching bands here, by the way. Another tradition is the running of the torch of liberty from town to town. I participated in one of these runs that was about 20 kilometers (12 miles). Don´t worry: I didn´t run the whole thing. That torch sure gets heavy though!






Volcán Pacaya: My fellow missionaries and I summited this active volcano yesterday. No big deal. Of course, many Star Wars and Lord of the Rings allusions were made. No matter what each of us imagined, it truly was an adventure that included roasting marshmallows at the top.


Until next time!

1 comment:

  1. Did you ever think you'd roast marshmallows on top of a volcano?! :)

    ReplyDelete