Greetings from Honduras! Paz y Bien! So, mis queridos amigos y familia, a whole lot has been going on since last I wrote. First of all, just over two weeks ago on the Feast of St. Therese of Lisieux, 6 new missionaries and I arrived at the Farm of the Child in Honduras. Oh yeah, that's why we came to Central America! It was all superoverwhelming at first. Now I'm much more settled in, and it's great to finally be in this place, to meet the kids, and get to know the community where I'll be living and working for the next 2 years.
As these two weeks have passed by, most of my time has been spent getting oriented and discerning. Many of you may know that I committed to the mission of the Farm without knowing exactly what my job would be over the next two years. Needless to say, we have all spent a good part of our time here discerning what our gifts are and how they can best be used on the Farm.
Good news: I am employed! That's right, I have a job! I am officially the Science teacher for 7th, 8th, and 9th grade. Additionally, I will be teaching a few special classes: English, Economics, Debate, and P.E. Wait, before you ask yourself, “Self, why is Kevin teaching subjects like science and econ?”, take a deep breath and remind yourself that this is middle school science and econ (not organic chemistry and advanced econometrics). Now, that's better! Anyway, I am really excited about this opportunity to bestow knowledge upon young minds, but I am sure that it will be challenging as well. It's going to be tough teaching middle schoolers (because of all the lovely things that come along with this age group...you remember...rather, you're probably trying to forget). I'll also be teaching in Spanish for an added challenge (Can you say puchica?). One really comforting thing is that next school year doesn't start until February, so I have lots of time to prepare myself for all the work ahead. Over the next few months the other new teachers and I will be teaching winter school (I've been told it's kind of like summer camp...which I know I can handle). Besides teaching in the colegio, I will also be the scoutmaster for the Boy Scout troop. I will be coaching boys' soccer, and I will be on the spiritual life committee.
Lastly, I just want to let you all know that I had a very wonderful birthday here. I'm not going to write about it in detail now, but I really felt blessed to be surrounded by loving people who will be dear friends for many years to come. I was definitley taken care of. Thanks to all of you who wished me happy birthday in some form or another.
In the words of Lavar Burton: “Until next time...!”
Kevin
Kevin, I came across this on facebook and it is neat to hear what you are up to these days! Just wanted to drop a note and let you know that I taught 7th grade science last year (8th grade math this year) at Kingsbury and so let me know if you need any ideas/resources! I'm not sure TN and Honduras really have the same middle school science requirements but I might have some good ideas but labs and projects at least. I could even send you the necessary supplies if you couldn't get them there! Let me know if I can ever do anything for you-- I LOVE the mission of the Farm.
ReplyDelete-- erin svoboda
I actually laughed out loud while reading this post. Haha.
ReplyDeleteSounds like you'll have a lot on your plate. I am glad you are living in community and will hopefully have the support you need.
I am so happy you had a good birthday.
Miss you!
Glad to hear you're settling in well. Sounds like you'll be very busy! That is awesome that you are starting a scout troop there! Let us know how we can help!!
ReplyDeleteDaniel Russell