Saturday, February 1, 2014

I Have Finished the Race

In September, my fellow missionary, Laura, came to me with the proposition of starting a running club for the kids with the final goal of running a race at Thanksgiving, a turkey trot if you will. It sounded like a great opportunity for the kids. They could build up their endurance, practice discipline, and grow in confidence by setting and achieving goals. Despite looking at the Finca’s action-packed weekly schedule and finding no time for more activities, we decided that if it was truly a worthwhile exercise, we could make it happen. So we did.

Three days a week from mid-September to November we wrangled up boys and girls from across the Finca to warm-up, stretch, and run longer distances than many of them ever had. We challenged them to keep a pace and continue running even when they felt tired. Joel would proudly declare after a run, “I ran the whole time. I wanted to pick some fruit and eat it, but I didn't. I just kept running.” If you know Joel at all, you undoubtedly will agree that not stopping to eat icacos was quite a triumph. Even when the other kids were totally burnt out, Brayan just kept going and going. Seidy, surprised us with her toughness. Even Jackson had a few days of focused running.



The award for best attendance and perseverance goes to the boys of House 3. Despite the fact that they were shoved out the door by their tias who jump at any opportunity to spend the boys’ surplus energy, they all grew by accepting the challenge to push themselves, and by the end I think they all enjoyed it.


Because of the timing of my departure from the Finca, unfortunately I was unable to participate in the final race, but I did receive this firsthand report from the other Kevin who helped organize race day:

“On December 7th, 2013, a day that will live in infamy, we had the race. When I mapped it out in my head beforehand, I didn't walk the course, and I accidentally made it only about 2.3 miles. By the time we'd figured that out we didn't have enough time to change it and shift all of the stations of people. Juan Carlos took off at a dead sprint at the beginning and never looked back. He beat me by about 40 seconds and was running probably pretty close to six minute miles. I never got close enough to really challenge him... I started out trying to help Laura keep José Manuel supervised (cause she offered to be with him and he took off running too fast for her), which maybe put me about 15 seconds behind after a lap around the Finca before I left the two of them and started to try and catch Juan Carlos, but he just kept putting distance on me instead. I don't think I would've beaten him even either way. Overall, however, it was a grand success. Harry came in third, Daniel in fourth (César opted out of participating), José Isabel in fifth, and Brayan came in about ten steps behind José Isabel (and beat Wilmer). That kid could be a good runner some day. I think in total 19 of the kids and about 7 missionaries ran, and every other kid helped in some capacity, along with Sor Mirna and nearly every tía and house parent.”




Even though my physical strength may no longer reflect it, I still consider myself a runner at heart. So, naturally with all of this running going on during my last days in Honduras, I began to think of my time at the Finca as a race. There were hills and ruts and times when I just felt exhausted and like I ought to slow down or stop. I hoped in those moments of weakness that God would use them for His glory and strengthen me to continue. There were other times where I hit my rhythm and hardly had to think about what I was doing, where it all seemed natural. Through it all there was one goal that I prayed that I could keep my eyes fixed on.

“Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us rid ourselves of every burden and sin that clings to us and persevere in running the race that lies before us while keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus, the leader and perfecter of faith[…]So strengthen your drooping hands and your weak knees. Make straight paths for your feet, that what is lame may not be dislocated but healed.” Hebrews 12: 1-2, 12-13


I looked to the end and like any good runner thought, “I have to leave it all out there on the course.” I didn't want to feel like I could have given more or that I had stopped before the finish line. There was no slowing down, no stopping at this point. While it would be easy to list off regrets and tasks left undone, I can say along with St. Paul:

“As I look to the Day of Christ, you give me cause to boast that I did not run the race in vain or work to no purpose.” Philippians 2:16

“I have competed well; I have finished the race; I have kept the faith.” 2 Timothy 4:7


Although one race has ended for me, there is always another. Thank you all for cheering me on and supporting me and the children of the Finca del Niño in every way possible during this race!

No comments:

Post a Comment